Wednesday, August 15, 2007

For Bhau. To the one who is truly free.


Freedom. Its a big word. And not everyone has it.Truly ask yourself. From that bird in the cage, like that parrot who you taught to learn 'Meethu' or that housewife who is stuck in the rut with Ekta Kapoor's serials. All are jail birds. Freedom is tough even in these times. Even those children who go out and hang out with friends, but reach home before 7. Or those girls whose parents ask them to return home from work at 7 maximum 8. They leave their jobs in accordance with society. Who is free?
My Grandpa is.
He left for the heaven's on 14th August at 9:25 am.
He was an officer in the ST department. That runs buses across the state of Maharashtra. An excellent service then. We used to often ask Grandpa if he ever did any heroic activity in the years of the Raj. And he'd say, he didn't and would add. I had a family: I had to earn my living, to keep them alive. Not everyone participated in the freedom struggle. But 25 days before 15th August, I saw him struggle for his life. It hurt so much. Every day, he was in pain. After the surgery he didn't open his eyes. Only struggled to open them. He couldn't speak because his pain was excruciating.He was one hell of a fighter.

Shankarrao Kadam is his name. And he is the father of 2 sons and 3 daughters. And he has raised his family in honour. On his funeral quite a few admirable and respected people turned up.And we sat closely with him, touching his feet, caressing his forehead. We wanted him to say," Kashey aahat"? " How are you, my child?" and kiss us on our cheeks and smile and give a few words of wisdom. Since I was born. I remember my Grandpa, to be an aristocrat. He had a stately demeanour, and everywhere we went, that is to Pune, everyone respected this oldie. He was intelligent and loved thriller stories. He's read all novels I talke dof. ANd once I handed him The Da Vinci code. And he said, "Its too catholic for me and it doesn't interest me a bit". I ain't into thrillers so much. So I didn't know his taste. But I do know now, that Da Vinci ain't his cup of tea. He was handsome and he was clean. Spic and Span , was my grandfather. He would wash most of his clothes all by himself. Wear white pyjamas and kurtas. And would have his medicines on time. He would drink water from a Tamba, a copper vessel, and has been doing so since I can remember. He was a very important part of our life. And we all loved him. I took interest in the recent Sudoku games he would play. he would spend 15-20 min explaining to me about the tricks. And one day I gifted him, a book, which contained around 100 puzzles,which on my next visit I found him to have solved with pencil, so that I could erase the answers and fill them up myself.

He was a fantastic writer. For some of his writing I have it as a souvenir. What if they were only 2 pages.He had a beautiful handwriting. Confident,and calculative.
My other cousins have had the privilege to have known him quite well, because they lived i the same house as he. I consider them lucky. And myself, fortunate.
I have had a chance to be acquainted with only my grandma for a few years, and he sudden death, was a shock, and I remember her but only slightly. I remember that she remembered that I liked grapes so she would bring a whole bunch for me to finish. She was wonderful. My grandpa, was very happy then. I remember seeing both of them together. When she had done her cataract operation. Both sat side by side. It is a wonderful sight. Now he must be happy. He must be with his wife.My grandpa and grandma, weren't storytellers. They were caretakers of the household. My prime storyteller was my mom. And she has had told me around 900 stories, each night. The best mother any one could ever ask for. My dad, was the best motorcycle driver.Rash. But super fun.

I have had the most amazing childhood anyone could ask for. My grandpa, was awesome. For he would always bring us an 18 Rupees packet of Good-day,and then we would get it in a golden box, with cashew pictures all over it.And I and my brother would thank Bhau for getting it and run to the bedroom to eat it up. It was beautiful.
I have fond memories of him. And I have an immense respect for my grandpa. He was a genuinely great person. And he loved his daughters and sons and his grandchildren.


Bhau,love you forever

No comments: